Sunday, March 8, 2009

Teaching

Hmmm... teaching. It was not my first choice of profession. But as it seems God has found it to be something i enjoy. This is not where I would have guessed being if someone would have told me years ago. But I think the main reason is becuase He was working on me all this time, and still is. 
my first day of teaching was really rough. I was not as organized as I would have liked to be. But who is when they are trying something for the first time. You can't prepare for everything life throws at you. You have to try and do what you can and then let God do the rest, and adapt to what he has done for you. My goal was to make sure to pray at the begining of every class. The entire first day. I forgot. :( But God reminded me and I think because i felt so negative about forgeting the first day He will continue to remind me during the next year how crucial it is to pray in class. I am slowly warming my students up to who I am. I want to be able to remember there names with out any problems, but that will take some time. Especially with 2 classes with 20 people and only seeing them for an hour a day and sometimes only 4 days a week. 
    On weekends we have a voluntary class they can come to. Friday Night Program and other programs on sabbath. Pray that God can use me to encourage them to come. So that I can build relatinships with them. It's my 3rd day today and I feel like God has used me well thus far. Keep praying that my mind is open to his leading. It is interesting to look back at Bible Stories like Joseph and Moses. What did God do to them before he used them in his service? He led them out into the wilderness. To a place where they were totally dependant on him. It took moses 40 years to unlearn what the egyptians had taught him. And Joseph had to wait roughly 20 years to understand why God took so long and allowed him to suffer as he did. He has to take us out of our comfort zones so that we will fully rely on him and allow him to mold us to what works best for him, not us. 
    When I look back I see that this also happened in my life. Luckily it didn't take me 20-40 years to see progress. But i know God is not through with me yet. When I look back to before October I see that God took me out of my element. He took me away from southern back home and forced me to go out of my element. To talk to people i was unsure about, to speak and act in a way in which I could attempt to represent Christ to someone other than my family and church. He was preparing a way so that I could grow to build stronger relationships to lead others to Christ. 
     Please also pray for a friend of mine - we'll call him BOB for now. He's told his family that he does not want to be SDA anymore. And in Korea drinking is not seen as an issue. It's part of the culture here. Last I heard he came home drunk and his parents are worried about him. Please pray for the conviction of the HS in his life. 

Thanks for your prayers, 
miss you all - Chris

1 comment:

Richard Stephenson said...

Hi Chris,

I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you. I am really proud of what you are doing. I can see already that God is working through/for/with you to accomplish great good. Praise God!

"And My God shall supply all your needs....".
-Richard Stephenson